Sunday 7 September 2014

Nars Sheer Glow Review! Is it worth the HYPE?


Happy Sunday everybody!

I have been testing out a number of new products recently and after mentioning a few in my Beauty Haul video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXGQIr6s5dU I thought I would give a more in depth review on a few cult products. The first product is a very much raved about foundation, Nars Sheer Glow. I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, after much deliberation, in the shade Deuville (for reference, I wear Mac NC20) and this colour is a great match for my cool toned skin.



First impressions The SA at Mecca Cosmetica recommended I apply the foundation with my fingers (my usual preference is a buffing brush) to ensure it really sunk in to the skin. I found the coverage was a little lighter than my usual preference and although it was beautifully smooth to apply, the velvety finish seemed to make my skin shiny within just a few hours. My skin is pretty normal and whilst I have hormonal breakouts I usually don’t have problems with oil and very rarely wear powder or primer, so I just applied it like I would my normal foundation; with concealer, some bronzer and a highlighter. It just did not work well for me - I also found it slightly sticky over the course of the day and by the time I was home from work, I was ready to claw my face off!

Take Two I didn’t want to give up, since I utterly adored the velvety texture and the overall idea of the product, so I tried again but this time I applied a pea sized amount of Benefit Porefessional primer all over my place five minutes before application. I decided to apply two pumps of the product with my usual Real Techniques Buffing brush this time around and I found this gave greater coverage and I really enjoyed wearing the product. I set this with my new Hourglass Dim Light (review to come) and bronzed up my cheeks with Hourglass Radiant Light. This method seemed to last a lot longer on my skin and I really did enjoy it.



Conclusion
This would be a great foundation for someone with normal to dry skin who doesn’t have many blemishes but who is looking for medium coverage with a natural radiance to it. For my skin type personally, it was not the best coverage or formula when applied on its own, but I definitely found it worked best with a mattifying primer underneath and a setting powder on top. I must say that Nars Sheer Glow is still growing on me and I will definitely continue to use it on those days when my skin is relatively clear. Who knows, with a bit of practice we may see this in a monthly favourite sometime soon! But, for now, I will be sticking to my Shu Uemura Face Architect as my go to foundation and using the Sheer Glow on days when I’m more comfortable with my complexion. 

Have you guys tried this foundation and what did you think?! I'd love to hear any tips to help with longevity :) 

Love, Catrin xo

No comments:

Post a Comment